Insurance for EU/EEA citizens

General information:

EU/EEA students with a valid European Health Insurance Card are entitled to medical help free of charge.

All other international students use the medical clinics on a payment basis depending on the terms and conditions determined by their insurance company.

PhD student registered by the Jan Kochanowski University for health insurance is obliged to inform the PhD School’s office about any other form of health insurance registration and any change of his/her personal data or his/her family members.


Health insurance is mandatory for all Doctoral students for the whole duration of their stay in Poland. It is important to remember that each PhD student coming for short-term studies will be asked to show a proof of health insurance upon arrival.

International students and academics are strongly advised to purchase third party liability insurance and accident insurance in their home countries.

PhD students who are citizens of a Member State of the European Union or a Member State of the European Free Trade Agreement (EFTA) – parties to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, residing in the territory of that State may benefit from healthcare on the same terms as Polish insured persons, provided they have a current European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued in the country of origin.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 28 EU countries as well as in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country.

Important – The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC):  

  • is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property,
  • does not cover your costs if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment,
  • does not guarantee free services. As each country’s healthcare system is different services that cost nothing at home might not be free in another country.

More information on the EHIC is available on the European Commission website.

How to join NFZ insurance?

Step 1: Apply for European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) – in Polish: EKUZ – in your country before arrival to Poland

Step 2: Take EHIC with you to Poland. You will be able to use healthcare services in Poland on the same rules as those applicable to Polish citizens.

How to use it?

You can visit a doctor who cooperates with NFZ, a health clinic or a hospital marked with NFZ logo. We recommend ARTIMED Student Health Centre or CENTERMED Student Health Center, because there you will easily find a doctor who speaks English.

Please make sure to take the valid EHIC with you.